Language of benefits – what it is and how it can increase your sales
There are rumors that texts sell, but this is not entirely true. Most of them are ignored or not convincing enough. However, there is content that actually increases profits, and their common feature is the language of benefits. Check what it is and why it is worth using it in your business!
What is the language of benefits?
E-commerce platforms need attractive content like never before. Small businesses also want to use the traffic on their website as much as possible. The solution may seem trivial, but it is deadly effective!
Language of benefits is a marketing style of writing that aims to present all the benefits of a purchase and thereby encouraging readers to initiate a transaction.
It is commonly used by copywriters to create a need, capture the customer’s imagination and maximize sales potential.
The effects of using the language of benefits
It is not without reason that this method has become very popular in the copywriting community. It is so simple and yet powerful that the difference in the marketing message is noticeable to every recipient.
Using the language of benefits you can write down:
- Increased conversion – the content is more convincing and, therefore, more effective in encouraging a potential customer to take action (e.g. subscribing to the newsletter, adding a product to the cart or sending an inquiry);
- Lower cost of reaching recipients – attractive texts retain attention, thus reducing the costs of advertising campaigns (largest advertisers, such as Facebook and Google, use auction systems – the most interesting ads achieve the best results);
- Greater profits – the above effects contribute twice to achieving the desired financial results by increasing sales and reducing advertising expenditure.
Moreover, the language of benefits is universally applicable – anyone who conducts marketing activities on the Internet will benefit. Regardless of whether you run a service company or auction a small item, communicating what the customer will gain is always a lucrative method.
How to write in the language of benefits?
The idea of the method is extremely simple, but if you want to create content using the language of benefits, you must follow certain key rules. We discuss them below.
Use the feature-advantage-benefit technique
Different items have their own specific features and parameters, and with them also advantages. Without reference to the product’s features and benefits, it would be impossible to confirm its benefits.
Let’s take a closer look at these three concepts:
- A feature is a physical property that describes a product (e.g. a large women’s handbag);
- An advantage describes how the product can be useful to the customer (e.g. a large bag can fit a lot);
- An advantage is an element that will allow the customer to solve his problem or will be a response to his needs (e.g. there is no need to carry an additional bag for a laptop or documents – everything will fit in a large, but also stylish handbag).
Communicate the benefits, not the risks
We live in times where concern for our safety is becoming increasingly secondary. People usually browse the Internet while feeling comfortable – after satisfying other necessary needs. To sell, you need to create new desires, and not point to existing threats that most people do not identify with. Communicate what the customer can gain, not what they can lose.
There is nothing more common and at the same time more ineffective in the market than unfounded boasting. It’s easy to see that each product is of the highest quality and better than the competition, but nothing comes of it! People have learned about traditional “marketing gibberish” and reliable information is necessary to influence their purchasing decision.
Define your target group
When presenting the benefits of the product, you should take into account the situation of the customer who may be interested in purchasing it. This will determine what the customer expects to satisfy their needs.
Write to the recipient, not to the wall
There is still an unjustified fear among some copywriters about using the second person. no. Direct addresses to readers attract attention more than the “Wikipedian” style.
Define the needs of potential customers
In effectively using the language of benefits, it is important to know exactly what needs a given customer has. Then ask yourself relevant questions about the product, such as:
- Why is this particular product good for this customer?
- What benefits will he get after the purchase?
- What problems will be solved?
- What will change as a result?
Customer needs usually arise from the following reasons:
- Something is missing, something is missing;
- He has something that doesn’t meet his needs, he wants something better.
Choose the language to suit your recipient
When trying to present yourself as a professional in a given topic, industry language is often overused. The client, not being a specialist, may have trouble understanding certain phrases.
This approach may produce a different effect than what you expected. The buyer may feel overwhelmed and lost and, as a result, may start looking for a competing company that will present its offer in a more accessible and understandable way. It is better not to allow such situations.
Benefits first, resources second
Sometimes there is a misinterpretation of the language of benefits, which assumes showing all the company’s advantages. Of course, this is important, but the primary goal is to impress upon the client WHAT THEY WILL GAIN from the transaction.
If you have a new machine, great, it will certainly increase customer satisfaction. But when you convince them to buy, focus on what is interesting to them. Tell them what exactly they will gain from the new equipment – later you will have time to present your resources.
We hope that after reading this article, you now know what to pay attention to in order to create effective sales content that will capture your audience’s attention and increase sales. Now it’s time to put the proposed solutions into practice!
- Language of benefits is a style of writing that aims to present all the advantages and benefits of a purchase.
- By using the language of benefits, you can expect an increase in conversions and, consequently, greater profits.
- The most important principles of creating content using the language of benefits are: defining the target group, using the feature-advantage-benefit scheme and language selected for a specific recipient.
Your comment has been added and is awaiting approval.