Evergreen content – what is it?
Organic website traffic is essential for a high position in the Google search engine, and the easiest way to increase it is by adding new content to it. However, this should be done with care, as we can lead to several phenomena that we definitely want to avoid. The solution may be content that simply does not get outdated – i.e. the so-called. evergreen content.
What is evergreen content?
An evergreen content is content that never goes out of date, is comprehensive and well-optimized.
Evergreen literally translates to “evergreen”, referring to plants that don’t shed their leaves in the winter – so they stay, well, evergreen. If we take this as a metaphor for publishing content, we get the above definition.
While all published content is somehow “eternal”, some of it – specifically those related to a trend or news – lose interest over time.
Good evergreen content also needs to be updated. Yes, content is evergreen, but if you forget it, Google will forget it too. So it’s worth coming back to it from time to time and improving it.
What is not evergreen content?
According to the above definition – things related to temporary currents, trends, fashion, news or data that are closely related to a given period.
To put it in a clear example, in 2023 almost no one will be interested in what the most popular clothes for the fall season were in previous years. However, events that are iterative (such as elections or the Olympics) may already be a good topic for an article because they regularly become relevant to many people.
Ideas for evergreen content for your website
Stick to topics that are likely to be relevant to many people, regardless of the year, month, or one-time event. Topics that are searched for all the time, and not, for example, seasonally, will be perfect.
It is equally important to find such an issue within the topics covered on our website. This will not always be easy – some industries are much more time-dependent than others (e.g. tourism). Fortunately, there are several formats that you can use almost regardless of the type of website that are common ways to generate evergreen content:
- collections of advice on a topic;
- case studies;
- product reviews;
- frequently asked questions and answers.
Once you’ve chosen a topic, there are two things you need to take care of:
- A good key phrase – thanks to the proper optimization of the content, it will be able to rank high, and this will allow more users to reach you.
- Checking how a given keyword looks in Google Trends – this is how you will find out if it is up to date all the time, in what regions and what similar queries are made.
What’s best to choose?
Knowing the specifics of your activities and the thematic scope of the materials published on our website, you can create many possible combinations using the elements from the list above.
- If you run an online store, you can create lists of things that are recommended for beginners in a given field (i.e. comfortable shoes for mountain trekking).
- On the other hand, when you have a service outlet, you can develop a set of advice for customers (i.e. how to put your hair up – if you run a hairdresser, or clean shoes at home – if you own a shoe shop, and so on).
Evergreen contents – benefits
In addition to generating traffic, this type of materials can bring you one more important benefit – building a professional brand image. A potential customer, having come across such content on your website, will become convinced that you are an expert in this field.
However, to get the above benefits, there are a few things to keep in mind when creating this type of content. First of all, your default target group are adepts of a given topic – after all, no one who can already create professional photos will look for advice for beginners. For this reason, you should take care of simple, understandable language without specialized terms. Also, be precise and try to write concisely – otherwise the potential reader may become discouraged or lose interest.
When this type of content is well written and optimized, it generates traffic and therefore ranks high in search results. This allows more people to visit your website.
Evergreen content, of course, should not completely replace the content on your website. It is equally important to gain reach by finding new keywords and reacting to current events. However, it is a good idea to place evergreen content on the page, especially for the most popular key phrases.
- Evergreen content is content that is always up to date, regardless of trends.
- It is worth creating this type of content on the website, because it generates traffic and helps to build the image of an expert.
- Formats that will work are guides, lists or product reviews.
Your comment has been added and is awaiting approval.